Seven Card Stud Rules
- Each player is dealt two cards down and one card up beginning with the player to the immediate left of the dealer. The two face down cards are called the hole cards and the up card is referred to as your “door card.”
- The first betting round is called "Third Street" and it is started by the player with the lowest card by rank and suit. Suits are ranked from highest to lowest as Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs. The player with the lowest card showing is required to make a forced bet known as the “Bring In” bet. After the bring in bet is made the next player on the immediate left of the player making the bring in bet has the option of folding, calling or raising the bet.
- With the first betting round complete, each player is dealt a second card face up and the second betting round begins. This round of betting is called “Fourth Street”. From this point on the action starts with the player showing the highest hand. The player with the highest hand is not forced to bet. He can check and the player to his left then has the option of betting or checking. If there is a bet, the player acting after the bet must fold, call or raise.
- With the second round of betting complete, each player is dealt a third card face up and the third betting round begins. This round of betting is called “Fifth Street”.
- With the third round of betting complete, each player is dealt a fourth card face up and the fourth betting round begins. This round of betting is called "Sixth Street".
- With the fourth round of betting complete, each player is dealt their final card face down and the final betting round begins. This round of betting is called "Seventh Street", or "The River".
- The “SHOWDOWN” is the final step of the game. The players will turn over their hole cards and a winner will be determined. “Cards Speak” so any cards turned face up will be read by the dealer. Players will use the best five cards to determine a winning hand. The pot will be pushed to that player by the dealer. In the case of a tie, the pot will be split. All cards will be collected and shuffled for the next round of play.
- For Seven Card Stud High/Low the pot will be split with half going to the highest hand and half to the lowest hand. The player must have at least five cards 8 or lower that are not duplicated in order to have a qualifying low hand. Straights and flushes do not disqualify a low. The lowest ranking hand is a “wheel”: ace, deuce, three, four and five.
Copyright © 2015 Churchill Downs Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.