Studz Poker Club at Calder Casino & Race Course completed the sixth and final event of the Miami Gardens Poker Classic, a 6-event poker tournament series featuring over $200,000 in guarantees February 3-12, 2012.
"For our first tournament series, we're happy with the results," said Chris Trabue, Director of Poker for Studz Poker Club. "We weren't anticipating an overlap in tournament competition when we had originally planned this series, but we drew pretty solid fields considering what was going on at other properties."
Event 6 was the main event, a $440 buy-in, $100,000 guaranteed multi-day event which concluded on Sunday, February 12. The tournament drew a field of 222 players over the course of three Day 1 sessions.
"We got to speak to a lot of tournament players that were new to our room," said Trabue. "We got a lot of positive comments about our room and our dealers, and a lot of great feedback to help us build an even stronger tournament series in the future."
The tournament came to an exciting conclusion for Jason Jochem when he agreed to an uneven chop with the other remaining four players for a five-way uneven chop. Jochem was a familiar face in the room, after chopping for $3,252 earlier this week in Event 2. The top ten finalists are listed below:
1. Jason Jochem from Hollywood, Florida - $16,000
2. Joseph Ebelhar from Davie, Florida - $15,000
3. Derrick Simon from Miramar, Florida - $14,500
4. Yezniel Pulido from Pembroke Pines, Florida - $14,500
5. Juan Peralta from Miami, Florida - $7,998
6. Richard Freire from Hialeah, Florida - $4,238
7. Daniel Genachte from Belgium - $3,252
8. Jonathan Gold from Boca Raton, Florida - $2,365
9. Ray Slack from Miami Beach, Florida - $2,267
10. Raciel Cruz from Miami, Florida - $2,168
Tournament recaps for each of the events of the Miami Gardens Poker Classic can be found in Calder's news archives at http://www.calderracecourse.com/category/news-category/poker-news.